Click Here To Join Our Telegram Channel for FREE daily tutorials!
I went for an annual cleaning at my dentist and a routine X-ray showed that my lower wisdom teeth had turned sideways and were now completely impacted. I had put it off long enough and it was finally time to schedule in to get them removed.I was lucky this time that they hadn’t caused me any pain and have not started to damage my other teeth, but I really started to think and I realized one very important thing…
You can’t schedule a toothache – so what happens when a major toothache hits when it’s late at night and your dentist’s office is closed? Or you’re somewhere remote and getting to a dentist any time soon is just not an option.
Anyone who has ever had the misfortune of a toothache knows that it is not just your mouth that hurts.
A toothache can be felt in just about every part of your body. I have had a few so bad that they made me sick to my stomach from the pain alone.
Although in most cases only a dentist can cure the source of the problem, this list of home treatments & pain relief remedies should get you through until you can visit the dentist.
It is important to note: If you have a toothache, there is a reason for it and it’s best to have it taken care of by a professional as soon as possible, rather than having it treated at home in hopes that the underlying issue will go away on its own. If it’s infected (if your gum area is swollen), don’t delay in getting professional medical care.
Directions: Apply the below remedies directly to both the problem tooth and surrounding gums unless otherwise directed.
For items that direct you to chew, or for liquids that are to be swished around inside mouth, direct the liquid on and around the sore tooth as much as possible.
Do not swallow liquids. Rinse your mouth and spit them out when done.
1. Salt Water: Mix a heaping tablespoon full of salt in a small glass of warm water; swirl around inside your mouth for as long as you can, spit out. Repeat as needed.
2. Hydrogen Peroxide: Swoosh a bit of hydrogen peroxide. If the taste is too horrid for you, try diluting with a bit of water.
3. Alcohol: Swoosh a bit of whiskey, scotch, brandy or vodka. A strong mouthwash that contains alcohol will do the trick too.
4. Vanilla Extract: Saturate a cotton ball with vanilla and hold in place. Can also use a cotton swab dipped in the extract. Other extracts that have the same effect are almond extract, peppermint extract, and lemon extract.
5. Tea Tree Oil: Just a drop or two will do the trick. You can also add some to a cotton swab and hold in place or add a few drops of tea tree oil to a small glass of lukewarm to warm water and rinse your mouth with it.
6. Oil Of Oregano: Mix a few drops with a bit of olive oil, then saturate a cotton ball with the mixture. Can replace the olive oil with lukewarm water if preferred.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar: Soak a cotton ball with apple cider vinegar (ACV) and hold it in place. Can also try regular household vinegar.
8. Ginger Root: Take a fresh piece of ginger and chew it a bit.
9. Garlic: Take a clove of garlic, smash it and apply (settle it inside cheek). You can also mash some garlic with salt.
10. Peppermint Leaves: Chew on fresh peppermint leaves. You can also dried leaves, just hold them in place.
11. Potato: Cut a fresh piece of potato (raw, skin off) and hold in place. Can also pound a piece of raw potato, mix in a bit of salt and use the mash.
12. Lime: Cut a slice or wedge of lime and apply, bite into it if you can to release some of the juice.
13. Onion: Slice a piece of fresh onion and hold it in your mouth. The onion needs to be freshly cut (so it provides a bit of onion juice).
14. Plantain: Chew up a fresh plantain leaf. If you’re too sore to chew, use the other side of your mouth. Once the leaf is macerated a bit apply it to the problem area and hold in place.
15. Cucumber: Slice a fresh piece of cucumber and hold it over the sore area. If refrigerated, you might want to bring the cucumber to room temperature before using (if sensitive to cold) otherwise a cool piece can be soothing.You can also mash a piece with a bit of salt and pack it around the sore tooth.
16. Cayenne Pepper: Make a paste with cayenne pepper and water.
17. Black Pepper: You can use this full strength or make a mix of pepper and salt.
18. Baking Soda: Take a cotton swab and moisten it with a bit of water, dip it in baking soda (coat the swab really well with baking soda) then apply. You can also make a mouth rinse by mixing a heaping spoonful of baking soda in a small glass of lukewarm to warm water, dissolve the soda then swish the mixture in your mouth.
19. Cloves: This is remedy from the old timers (my great grandparents) and is regarded as one of the best; eugenol, a substance in clove, has had a long history of use in dentistry. Rest a clove against the sore area until pain goes away. You can also use a drop or two of clove oil (BE CAREFUL: too much can be toxic) or make a thick paste of ground cloves and water or ground cloves and olive oil.
20. Tea: Make a fresh cup of tea then take the used tea bag (still warm) and stick it in your mouth. Careful not to tear the bag. The tannins that are naturally in tea leaves can help numb things.
21. Ice Pack: Cover an ice pack with a face cloth or towel then hold over your cheek where the problem is. This will help numb things. Make sure that you have some type of cloth between your skin and the ice, otherwise, you can severely damage your skin.If that doesn’t work, try the opposite – a hot compress (making sure that it is not so hot as to scald your skin).
• If the pain is unbearable and there’s no dentist available, call your local hospital’s emergency room – chances are they have a dentist on call that can treat you (for a fee of course).
• Try gently brushing your teeth and flossing – this might bring some relief.
• One old-time remedy that you should not follow is to place an aspirin against the sore tooth. You will have just as much if not more of an effect by swallowing the aspirin.Aspirin is actually an acid (acetylsalicylic acid to be exact) and placing it directly against your gums or teeth will cause corrosion of your teeth and acid burns on your gums.
• If the side of your face is in severe pain and it feels like you’re going to lose your mind (I’ve been there, done that) – it could be a sinus infection or an allergy that affects your sinuses rather than a problem tooth (even though it definitely feels like it).Try taking a decongestant or if that is not available, a shower set on the hottest setting may help clear your sinus cavities.This might help relieve things until you get to a doctor. Chances are a prescription antibiotic is what you’ll need to clear up the sinus infection.If it is a sinus infection please don’t wait to get it taken care of! I have permanent damage to my left eardrum from a sinus infection that became so congested it literally burst my eardrum as a pressure relief valve.
Have I missed any of your tried-and-true methods to relieve tooth and gum pain?
Please share it below in the comments section.
Please be aware: These are notes I have collected in my personal life over the years, in my own research as well as tips gathered from my grandparents and great-grandparents.
They are not by any means professional medical advice and a trained dentist should always be contacted as soon as possible.
P.S. If you have a toothache it may be in your best interest to go on a soft food diet until you get to the dentist.
Click here to see what I ate for days after my surgery that has earned a permanent spot in my pantry.
Image For Pinterest:
Graphic – www.myfamilysurvivalplan.com. Images – Pixabay (PD)
This Crazy Off Grid Device Literally Makes Drinkable Water From Fresh Air:
According to NASA, the U.S. is expecting a 100-YEAR LONG MEGADROUGHT.
It's already begun. Ask the farmers in California. They know.
Every survivalist knows that water is of critical importance. You NEED an independent water source that you can count on!
As an interesting "survival rehearsal" - imagine that you turned the tap on right now and nothing came out. How long would you last?
But what if there was another water source literally hidden in plain sight. That's right, I'm talking about the atmosphere!
The amazing thing about getting water from the natural moisture in the air... is that it is ALWAYS available.
This gives you real water security!
Learn more about how to tap into "Nature's secret water reservoir" and stay hydrated when TSHTF!
Watch the video:
😳 What Tinnitus Does To Your Brain Cells (And How To Stop It)
After 47 years of studies and countless brain scans done on more than 2,400 tinnitus patients, scientists at the MIT Institute found that in a shocking 96% of cases, tinnitus was actually shrinking their brain cells.
As it turns out, tinnitus and brain health are strongly linked.
Even more interesting: The reason why top army officials are not deaf after decades of hearing machine guns, bombs going off and helicopter noises…
Is because they are using something called "the wire method", a simple protocol inspired by a classified surgery on deaf people from the 1950s...
I Can't Help Showing This Off:
If you haven't heard of Claude Davis yet do yourself a huge favor and watch this video.
One of the smartest guys I ever had the pleasure of meeting, Claude set-up a unique prepping system that changed his life forever.
I already tried it myself and let me tell... you I was completely blown away... His surprising tactics could make your life easier and give you the peace of mind you deserve.
Don't just take my word for it... watch his short video and decide for yourself.
Most People Don't Have The Guts To Try This:
An amazing discovery in an abandoned house in Austin, Texas: A lost book of amazing survival knowledge, believed to have been long vanished to history, has been found in a dusty drawer in the house which belonged to a guy named Claude Davis.
Remember... back in those days, there was no electricity... no refrigerators... no law enforcement... and certainly no grocery store or supermarkets... Some of these exceptional skills are hundreds of years of old and they were learned the hard way by the early pioneers.
We've lost to history so much survival knowledge that we've become clueless compared to what our great grandfathers did or built on a daily basis to sustain their families.
Neighbors said that for the last couple of years Claude has tried to unearth and learn the forgotten ways of our great-grandparents and claimed to have found a secret of gargantuan proportions. A secret that he is about to reveal together with 3 old teachings that will change everything you think you know about preparedness:
More Off-Grid And Survival Resources:
What REALLY Happens When You Bury a Shipping Container? (Hint: It's A Bit Crazy...)
Shipping containers are all the rage - but if you are thinking about buying one, you MUST watch this video first:
There's a general belief that if you bury a shipping container you can create an awesome root cellar / storm shelter / survival bunker.
But is a shipping container strong enough to handle the pressure?
Watch the video to see what happens: