Please Share This Page:
Here are some of the most popular fish used in aquaponic systems, together with the reasons why people choose them…
- Barramundi: You will find many people growing barramundi during the spring and winter as they’re more prone to the warm weather. Using barramundi in your aquaponic system will give you a very clean fresh taste. They are a very popular choice and are really easy to harvest.
- Catfish: You’ve probably made a practice of buying catfish from the grocery store or from restaurants but you haven’t had great catfish until you’ve grown your own organic catfish in your aquaponic system. There are several types of different catfish available but one of the most popular types used in aquaponics is the channel catfish. People like catfish because they grow faster than other species of fish and give you a great bang for your buck!
- Carp: Carp is one of the most commonly eaten fish throughout the entire world. The problem with carp is that they’re a little difficult to get. It’s not recommended that you mix carp in the same fish tank as your other species of fish as they have a reputation of being noxious in some respects. But certain species of carp are great for aquaponics and you’ll definitely see a decent amount of setups that harvest them.
- Jade Perch: Jade perch is notorious in Australia. For health purposes, the perch is absolutely amazing because it’s packed with omega 3 oils which are great for you. Some people who raise jade perch in their commercial aquaponics system actually try to make them less oily for people who would rather not have such an oily fish. They are omnivores and live in warm water. Jade perch are a great choice for any aquaponic system.
- Trout: These fish are great for people in cooler areas. They can grow really fast and be used for delicious food very well. You will find trout in many aquaponic setups because they are perfect for this type of environment.
- Goldfish: Goldfish are very popular amongst commercial aquaponic users; not for eating but because they can be sold to pet shops for a nice profit and if they breed you can easily turn them over quickly. It’s definitely nice to have some goldfish in your aquaponic setup.
- Silver Perch: The silver perch is a very reliable type of fish that is easy to maintain which makes them great for people just getting into aquaponics. A great benefit of silver perch is that they can thrive in almost any temperature so they are seen as a very versatile fish. They don’t grow as quick as some other species however. It can take about a year to a year and a half for them to get full size.
- Murray Cod: This is another popular Australian fish that can grow to be very large. As far as utilizing them in aquaponics and fish tanks, they are a growing trend. They are very popular in aquaculture and fish farming and have found their way into many aquaponic systems recently. They grow very rapidly but you have to make sure you are feeding them regularly because they have a tendency to eat each other. So you have to be careful with this species.
- Koi: Koi is a type of carp fish. You may know that they are extremely popular in Asia and many people make Koi ponds specifically for this fish. They are great for aquaponics so if you love Koi, you can definitely incorporate them in your setup.
- Tilapia: This is another very popular type of fish all around the world. Many restaurants use them and they are very popular amongst bodybuilders and health enthusiasts – however note that much commercially farmed Tilapia is raised in unhealthy conditions and may not be advisable to eat. To learn more about this see Why You
Should Not Eat Tilapia
Now that you have some knowledge about the types of fish suited for aquaponics, try my Backyard Liberty Aquaponics.
I Can't Help Showing This Off
If you haven't heard of Claude Davis yet do yourself a huge favor and watch this video. He's going to be the talk of 2016.
One of the smartest guys I ever had the pleasure of meeting, Claude set-up a unique system that changed his life forever.
I already tried it myself and let me tell... you I was completely blown away... His surprising tactics could make your life easier and give you the peace of mind you deserve.
Don't just take my word for it... watch his short video and decide for yourself.
Most People Don't Have The Guts To Try This:
An amazing discovery in an abandoned house in Austin, Texas: A lost book of amazing survival knowledge, believed to have been long vanished to history, has been found in a dusty drawer in the house which belonged to a guy named Claude Davis.
Remember... back in those days, there was no electricity... no refrigerators... no law enforcement... and certainly no grocery store or supermarkets... Some of these exceptional skills are hundreds of years of old and they were learned the hard way by the early pioneers.
We've lost to history so much survival knowledge that we've become clueless compared to what our great grandfathers did or built on a daily basis to sustain their families.
Neighbors said that for the last couple of years Claude has tried to unearth and learn the forgotten ways of our great-grandparents and claimed to have found a secret of gargantuan proportions. A secret that he is about to reveal together with 3 old teachings that will change everything you think you know about preparedness:
More Off-Grid And Survival Resources:
- Survive The End Days (Preparation Tips For TEOTWAWKI)
- Famous Chef Sheds 60lbs Researching New Paleo Recipes: Get The Cookbook FREE Here
- Bullet Proof Home (Amazing Secret Tactics To Protect Your Home Against Looters, Thugs And Thieves)
- "Red" Smoothie Helps Alabama Girl Shed 80lbs!
- Survival MD (Field medical guide to survive any crisis situation)
- #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat
- US Water Revolution (Generate Your Clean Water Anywhere)
- Blackout USA - How To Survive An EMP / Long Term Grid Down Situation
- The Lost Ways Of Survival - Ancient Survival Secrets Of Our Ancestors
- Here's What Happens When You "Unlock Your Hip Flexors"
Please Share This Page:
Check Out More Of Our Posts: