Please Share This Page:
Several people have asked what to do for their thick toenails. And to tell the truth, it’s not a trivial question. Thick toenails can be the starting point for bad bruises, infections and even gangrene. In a disaster situation, these problems could become more likely if you have to do a lot of walking or even just standing. If your shoes press on the toenail, the toe can become quite bruised. Then, if your toes swell from the bruising, the shoes will be tighter on them, causing a dangerous cycle, even to the point of killing some of the tissue under the nail.
So it’s best to treat thick toenails before a disaster rather than during.
5 Causes of Thick Toenails
1. Fungi. A fungus is a common cause and hard to get rid of.
Treatment: You can try daily application of:
Tea-tree oil, an antifungal
Topical antifungals bought at the drugstore; the label will say they’re for toenail fungus
Other options include daily 15-minute vinegar and water soaks (one part vinegar, two parts water) or prescribed oral medicine.
Whatever method you try, it usually takes a few months before you see improvement. A new (and expensive) way to treat fungus is to go to a laser treatment center. This is quick and the most likely to be effective, but the fungus often comes back no matter the treatment, especially once you stop it.
2. Poor circulation. There are many chronic diseases that affect circulation. One of the most common is diabetes. As anyone with diabetes knows, with or without thick toenails, you have to always pay particular attention to your feet by wearing shoes that fit well and keeping your toenails clipped well. Any little infection, from rubbing or whatever, can lead to a serious infection quickly. The thick toenails that come from poor circulation just add to the risk.
Treatment: This one’s more about prevention. Keep the diabetes as well controlled as possible to prevent the poor circulation. Also, if you have diabetes, please don’t smoke. Of course that’s bad for anyone’s circulation, but it can be the last straw before losing a limb in someone with diabetes.
Remember, people with poor circulation often have decreased feeling in the feet. It’s essential to wear good-fitting shoes and inspect your feet once or twice or more a day for blisters or abrasions you may not be feeling.
To complicate matters, many people with poor circulation have a fungal toenail infection that’s also causing the toenail thickening that needs to be treated.
3. Eczema, a disease causing the skin to be chronically irritated and inflamed
Treatment: You can try some of the treatments listed in the fungus section, or maybe use some over-the-counter hydrocortisone on the nails to counter the irritation and inflammation, but really, usually nothing works very well.
4. Psoriasis, a disease that causes patches of thick red skin covered with silvery scales.
Treatment: Treat the underlying psoriasis. Nothing special helps the toenails.
5. Genes. Some people are just born with a tendency for thick toenails. There’s no infection or disease, so there’s no cure.
Living With Thick Toenails
No matter your best efforts, the thick toenails may stick around for you to deal with the best you can. The best alternative may be simply to try to prevent damage from them:
- Soak your feet regularly with warm water for 15 minutes.
- Dry off your feet.
- File down the thickness with a nail file or emery board.
- Clip the ends with strong toenail clippers.*
Be careful not to be too aggressive and make yourself bleed.
What about you? Have you tried any of the treatments? Did they work? Do you have one not listed that did?
By James Hubbard, MD, MPH
I Can't Help Showing This Off
If you haven't heard of Claude Davis yet do yourself a huge favor and watch this video. He's going to be the talk of 2016.
One of the smartest guys I ever had the pleasure of meeting, Claude set-up a unique system that changed his life forever.
I already tried it myself and let me tell... you I was completely blown away... His surprising tactics could make your life easier and give you the peace of mind you deserve.
Don't just take my word for it... watch his short video and decide for yourself.
Most People Don't Have The Guts To Try This:
An amazing discovery in an abandoned house in Austin, Texas: A lost book of amazing survival knowledge, believed to have been long vanished to history, has been found in a dusty drawer in the house which belonged to a guy named Claude Davis.
Remember... back in those days, there was no electricity... no refrigerators... no law enforcement... and certainly no grocery store or supermarkets... Some of these exceptional skills are hundreds of years of old and they were learned the hard way by the early pioneers.
We've lost to history so much survival knowledge that we've become clueless compared to what our great grandfathers did or built on a daily basis to sustain their families.
Neighbors said that for the last couple of years Claude has tried to unearth and learn the forgotten ways of our great-grandparents and claimed to have found a secret of gargantuan proportions. A secret that he is about to reveal together with 3 old teachings that will change everything you think you know about preparedness:
More Off-Grid And Survival Resources:
- Survive The End Days (Preparation Tips For TEOTWAWKI)
- Famous Chef Sheds 60lbs Researching New Paleo Recipes: Get The Cookbook FREE Here
- Bullet Proof Home (Amazing Secret Tactics To Protect Your Home Against Looters, Thugs And Thieves)
- "Red" Smoothie Helps Alabama Girl Shed 80lbs!
- Survival MD (Field medical guide to survive any crisis situation)
- #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat
- US Water Revolution (Generate Your Clean Water Anywhere)
- Blackout USA - How To Survive An EMP / Long Term Grid Down Situation
- The Lost Ways Of Survival - Ancient Survival Secrets Of Our Ancestors
- Here's What Happens When You "Unlock Your Hip Flexors"
Please Share This Page:
Check Out More Of Our Posts: