I was just dying for a pizza the other day, but not any kind… I was craving for the pizza my mom used to make me when I went home for holidays. I remember how amazing it smelled when she took it out of the oven… and the taste! I wouldn’t even put ketchup or garlic sauce on top, it was that good!
I don’t know what made me remember all this, but I just had to cook one of those divine pizzas. And what do you know? My usual recipe inspiration, busycooks.about.com, had a tuna pizza recipe in their survival food recipes category. I didn’t have any tuna cans in the pantry, but I went to the store and got four. This way, I’ve updated my stockpile with a new type of canned food.
And not any type of food, but one with a whole lot of health benefits. Just check out a few reasons why you should eat tuna, according to symptomfind.com:
1. It’s very nutritious: “You always hear about eggs and various meats being a high source of protein, but what about fish? One of the nutritional highlights of tuna is its high protein content. How high in protein content? Try 23 grams in a serving size of three and a half ounces. Talk about a good source of protein to help keep those muscles strong. Protein is also good for the blood, skin, hair and nails.
2. It protects your heart:“Tuna can help you avoid the risk of having a stroke. A recent study has shown that adults who include one to four servings of fish as a part of their regular diet had a 27 percent lower risk of having an ischemic stroke. Five or more servings of fish per week reduced the risk of stroke to 30 percent.”
3. It lowers your blood pressure: Tuna has omega-3 fatty acid, which helps prevent high blood pressure. Studies have shown that foods, like tuna, that contain omega-3 fatty acids helped test subjects maintain healthy blood pressure. Those who have yet to develop high blood pressure experience an even stronger beneficial effect from omega-3 fatty acids.”
4. It lowers your cholesterol: With just two servings of tuna a week, you can lower your triglyceride levels. Why is that a good thing? Triglyceride in the bloodstream indicates the amount of fat being carried. If you have a high level of triglyceride, you are probably also experiencing “bad cholesterol” and low levels of “good protein.”
5. It boosts your immune system: “Tuna is a good source of selenium, an antioxidant that helps improve the body’s immune system. The immune system is a vital part of the body that is integral for fighting off sickness, diseases and infections.”
After reading all this, I’m seriously thinking of eating tuna more often… starting with this delicious pizza. Here’s what you need to cook it:
● 1 Boboli® pizza crust
● 15 oz. can white beans, rinsed and drained
● 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
● 1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
● 1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
● salt and pepper to taste
● 6 oz. can solid pack white tuna, drained
● 1 (7 oz.) jar roasted red pepper, drained, chopped
● 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, well drained
● 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
These ingredients will be enough for 4-6 people. Now it’s preparation time!
First of all, clear your schedule for 20 minutes. Then get a medium bowl and throw in beans, vinegar, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper.
Next: Mash beans to get a sort of sauce, but leave some texture in the mixture. Spread the bean mixture over the Boboli® pizza crust. Put tuna, red peppers, and tomatoes on top. Sprinkle cheese over all and it’s ready to go into the oven. Enjoy it with your family!