Please Share This Page:
image © thinglass – fotolia.com
A good preparedness plan can become a great one when it is practiced. The are many ways to practice using your gear, but I thought I would come up with a few fun drills that will definitely help you become more prepared!
15 Minute Bug Out
Even though many preppers have bug out bags, they really aren’t as “bug out ready” as they might think. This drill will allow you to practice for an emergency that requires you to bug out immediately after hearing about a disaster that affects your area.
Real life examples could be anything from a natural disaster to a chemical or nuclear attack. You must grab everything you can in 15 minutes as if you were never coming back to your home again.
Running the drill
- When all family members are home, initiate the drill without advanced warning.
- Start timing the drill. It helps to use a timer and set it to 15 minutes.
- Designate a room in the house to bring all of the gear to. Packing gear in a vehicle could raise eyebrows from neighbors.
- Act as quickly as possible while remaining calm.
- Immediately stop and end the drill as soon as the timer goes off.
Did you manage as well as you thought you would? What critical items were forgotten? How was communication between family members? These are the questions you should be asking. Remember, at the end of the day you are doing this thing because you care about your family and want to make sure they are safe if an emergency happens. Don’t get angry at those who fell short or were not prepared. Use it as an example and a way to make positive changes to your preparedness.
Grid Down Simulation
This drill is a bit more involved than the bug out drill. It might be harder to get the family members on board with this one. But here’s a tip; there’s nothing to stop you making it fun! Effectively, you are simulating a total collapse of the electrical grid. The goal is to see how well prepared you are to survive short term without electricity.
This type of event could be caused by severe weather, an attack on the grid, an EMP strike, etc. For the drill it is best to assume an EMP strike occurred and that nothing works, including cars and generators.
Running the Drill
- Upon waking up on the weekend or a day that you and your family will all be home, turn off everything that uses electricity (lights, appliances, AC units, etc.) You can still leave your refrigerator on to keep food from spoiling.
- Go about your daily life without electricity.
- Feel free to use the toilet. Otherwise, do not use water from the tap. That means washing your hands, brushing your teeth, cooking, and everything else with stored water. After only a short period of time, the electric pumps that power water towers would stop working and the taps would run dry in a real grid down scenario.
How did you do? Did you use as much water as you thought you would, or more? Keep in mind that bathing would also require a significant amount of water. Were you prepared to cook without electricity? Did anyone cheat?
Living without an electrical grid would be incredibly difficult. Hopefully running this drill will give you an idea of would it would take to survive such an event.
The Speed Shelter
This drill is an easier one to complete and is a little bit more fun as well. Take your family on a hiking/camping trip and bring along some paracord and a tarp. The simple object here is to quickly create a simple shelter to protect you from the elements.
Getting lost while hiking or having to bug out on foot during a shtf event could be situations where this knowledge would come into play.
Running the Drill
- Find a good spot to set up a shelter. Make sure you are actually allowed to put up a shelter in the area.
- Build an effective shelter as fast as you can using only paracord and a tarp.
- Time yourself.
- Repeat the process regularly to improve your time.
- Be sure to let each family member try.
How fast could you get a shelter built? Was it secure? Does everyone in the family know how to tie the correct knots?
In a survival situation, staying out of the elements can make all the difference in the world. It also is a huge morale booster. Hopefully you never need the knowledge gained from this drill but at least you’ll be prepared if you do!
This article was contributed by Survival Pulse, where the latest preparedness articles and resources are delivered to you daily.
First seen on MyFamilySurvivalPlan
I Can't Help Showing This Off
If you haven't heard of Claude Davis yet do yourself a huge favor and watch this video. He's going to be the talk of 2017.
One of the smartest guys I ever had the pleasure of meeting, Claude set-up a unique system that changed his life forever.
I already tried it myself and let me tell... you I was completely blown away... His surprising tactics could make your life easier and give you the peace of mind you deserve.
Don't just take my word for it... watch his short video and decide for yourself.
Most People Don't Have The Guts To Try This:
An amazing discovery in an abandoned house in Austin, Texas: A lost book of amazing survival knowledge, believed to have been long vanished to history, has been found in a dusty drawer in the house which belonged to a guy named Claude Davis.
Remember... back in those days, there was no electricity... no refrigerators... no law enforcement... and certainly no grocery store or supermarkets... Some of these exceptional skills are hundreds of years of old and they were learned the hard way by the early pioneers.
We've lost to history so much survival knowledge that we've become clueless compared to what our great grandfathers did or built on a daily basis to sustain their families.
Neighbors said that for the last couple of years Claude has tried to unearth and learn the forgotten ways of our great-grandparents and claimed to have found a secret of gargantuan proportions. A secret that he is about to reveal together with 3 old teachings that will change everything you think you know about preparedness:
More Off-Grid And Survival Resources:
- Survive The End Days (Preparation Tips For TEOTWAWKI)
- Famous Chef Sheds 60lbs Researching New Paleo Recipes: Get The Cookbook FREE Here
- Bullet Proof Home (Amazing Secret Tactics To Protect Your Home Against Looters, Thugs And Thieves)
- "Red" Smoothie Helps Alabama Girl Shed 80lbs!
- Survival MD (Field medical guide to survive any crisis situation)
- #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat
- US Water Revolution (Generate Your Clean Water Anywhere)
- Blackout USA - How To Survive An EMP / Long Term Grid Down Situation
- The Lost Ways Of Survival - Ancient Survival Secrets Of Our Ancestors
- Here's What Happens When You "Unlock Your Hip Flexors"
Please Share This Page:
Check Out More Of Our Posts: