Please Share This Page:
Diatomaceous earth (DE) is an all-natural chalky, soft powder formed from the microscopic fossilized remains of ancient single-celled animals, called diatoms. If you haven’t heard of diatomaceous earth and some of its amazing uses in and around your home, get ready to have one of those hand-against-your-forehead who-would-have-thought moments.
Making up about 26 percent of the earth’s crust, DE is found in sediments from rivers, lakes, streams and oceans all over the world. It is almost 90 percent silica, which is found in human hair, skin and nails. When viewed through a microscope, DE looks like a tube with holes in it. It is very hard, has a very strong negative charge and contains about 20 trace minerals. Note that there is a considerable difference between food grade and non-food grade DE, with the food-grade being considered much safer to use in a wider variety of applications.
The FDA classifies food-grade DE as safe, and it has an amazing amount of uses and benefits. Here is a list of our Top 10:
1. Toothpaste. DE has abrasive properties and is an effective natural alternative to commercial chemical-laden toothpastes. Just add your own natural flavoring, such as mint, and sprinkle a little DE on your toothbrush. DE also works to control bad breath.
2. Deodorant. Are you ready to stop using anti-perspirants which interfere with your body’s natural detox system, but baking soda, a common alternative, leaves you with a rash? Here’s a recipe to try that uses DE.
- 3/4 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1/4 cup food grade DE
- 5-7 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- Combine DE and arrowroot powder or cornstarch.
- Add 5 tablespoons melted coconut oil and mix well with a fork. Continue adding coconut oil until desired consistency.
- Transfer mixture to a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
Using your fingertips, apply a small amount to underarms as needed.
3. Facial Scrub. Because of its high mineral content, DE makes a gentle facial scrub and facial mask.
Directions: Mix about 1 tablespoon of DE with water, aloe Vera juice or slightly diluted honey to make a thick paste. Lightly massage the paste onto your face using your fingertips and small, circular motions. Allow the paste to set for two minutes, before removing with a warm washcloth using similar circular motions. Avoid using this scrub near the eyes or on irritated or chapped skin.
4. Food storage. Add DE to your stored grains and legumes to help keep them dry, to keep away pests and to prevent spoilage.
5. Pest control. Food grade DE can be used to eliminate bed bugs, fleas, roaches, spiders, earwigs and garden pests such as slugs and beetles. Around the inside of your home, try sprinkling it into cracks and crevices where bugs can enter.
6. Kitchen deodorizer. Place a small container of DE in your fridge and freezer to reduce or eliminate unpleasant odors. Replace every few weeks or as needed. DE also is useful in neutralizing garbage can odors. Sprinkle some in the bottom of your can.
7. Metal Cleaner. Make a simple paste of DE and water to use as a metal polish. It also works well as a soft scrub for the shower, tub and sink.
8. Driveway oil stains. To remove unsightly stains from your garage floor or driveway, sprinkle the affected area with enough DE to cover it completely. Let the powder soak up the oil for about 24 hours before removing the excess with a scraper and then sweeping away the remains.
9. Shoe odor. Place DE inside a nylon knee-high and tie the top end shut. Place inside shoe or boot to help absorb unpleasant odor when not wearing.
10. Carpet cleaner. Sprinkle DE on carpet stains and lightly work the powder into it before letting it set for several hours. Then vacuum.
In addition to its home uses, many people use food grade DE as a nutritional supplement, primarily for bone and joint health, and as a detoxifying agent.
What are your favorite uses for diatomaceous earth? Leave your reply in the section below:
By Tricia Drevets – www.offthegridnews.com
I Can't Help Showing This Off
If you haven't heard of Claude Davis yet do yourself a huge favor and watch this video. He's going to be the talk of 2016.
One of the smartest guys I ever had the pleasure of meeting, Claude set-up a unique system that changed his life forever.
I already tried it myself and let me tell... you I was completely blown away... His surprising tactics could make your life easier and give you the peace of mind you deserve.
Don't just take my word for it... watch his short video and decide for yourself.
Most People Don't Have The Guts To Try This:
An amazing discovery in an abandoned house in Austin, Texas: A lost book of amazing survival knowledge, believed to have been long vanished to history, has been found in a dusty drawer in the house which belonged to a guy named Claude Davis.
Remember... back in those days, there was no electricity... no refrigerators... no law enforcement... and certainly no grocery store or supermarkets... Some of these exceptional skills are hundreds of years of old and they were learned the hard way by the early pioneers.
We've lost to history so much survival knowledge that we've become clueless compared to what our great grandfathers did or built on a daily basis to sustain their families.
Neighbors said that for the last couple of years Claude has tried to unearth and learn the forgotten ways of our great-grandparents and claimed to have found a secret of gargantuan proportions. A secret that he is about to reveal together with 3 old teachings that will change everything you think you know about preparedness:
More Off-Grid And Survival Resources:
- Survive The End Days (Preparation Tips For TEOTWAWKI)
- Famous Chef Sheds 60lbs Researching New Paleo Recipes: Get The Cookbook FREE Here
- Bullet Proof Home (Amazing Secret Tactics To Protect Your Home Against Looters, Thugs And Thieves)
- "Red" Smoothie Helps Alabama Girl Shed 80lbs!
- Survival MD (Field medical guide to survive any crisis situation)
- #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat
- US Water Revolution (Generate Your Clean Water Anywhere)
- Blackout USA - How To Survive An EMP / Long Term Grid Down Situation
- The Lost Ways Of Survival - Ancient Survival Secrets Of Our Ancestors
- Here's What Happens When You "Unlock Your Hip Flexors"
Please Share This Page:
Check Out More Of Our Posts: